Friday, March 28, 2008

The NBA playoffs

This is what the standings will look like on April 16th (the last day of the regular season):
East
Boston
Detroit
Orlando
Cleveland
Toronto
Philadelphia
Washington
Atlanta

I think everybody in the world will agree with me on the first 4 spots. They're pretty much guaranteed. The Raptors have struggled a bit without Chris Bosh, but I think they'll get their act together and get back to where they're supposed to be. There are 5 games that they should win. There are 4 games against potential 8th seeded teams that they should win 2 of, and 2 teams they should lose to, although Detroit will want to rest their starters for the last week of the season, so the Detroit game might not be as hard as they predicted. I think Washington will continue to struggle without Arenas, but if he gets back in the first round, Washington will be a great team that should take a couple games from Detroit or Orlando if they split with Philadelphia. And Boston will cruise to a 4 game series against Atlanta.

West
Los Angeles
New Orleans
San Antonio
Jazz (with home court advantage)
Houston
Phoenix
Golden State
Denver
I'm a Lakers fan, so I have to choose them over any other team because of 1. they're easy schedule and 2. the trio of Bynum, Gasol, and Bryant. I think Kobe will play the last week of the season even if they've clinched so that their full lineup can play. I took New Orleans with #2 because of CP3, who I think will get the MVP this year, even though I think Kobe deserves it. San Antonio will get the 3rd seed because Popovich wants home court advantage and they need it, in my opinion. I think the Jazz will win the 4th seed, not just get it because of leading a division. If the Jazz have home court, they'll win the 1st round easily. Houston and Phoenix can go either way, but the Suns will slow down a bit after they clinch a spot. Golden State will definitely get in, but Denver might slip if Nowitzki comes back earlier than expected, but right now they look like they'll split.

No comments: